The firsts........

Well I'm ready, loans hit the bank, classes selected, and it's time to start....almost. The first hiccup I encountered was course selection, As you might know, I'm end game goal is to be a teacher. But in my last post, you learned that I was deficient a course for entry into the Education Faculty. So I had to pick classes that would count towards the degree I'm aiming for with an insufficient selection of courses still available on short notice.
What was left that sounded like a good time (because at this point I have NO idea what to expect)
Drama 242- Introduction to Drama
Drama 225- Introduction to Scenography
Spanish 201- Beginner Spanish
Fun right?!?!
Courses enrolled, the loan has hit the bank.... last hiccup.
I have booked a trip to New York City Fashion Week and Rupaul's Dragcon, with Amped Accessories... it happens to fall on the first day and orientation.
Well needless to say I missed those... of course.

It's arrived... I flew home Monday night and was at class Tuesday at 12:30
lets recap that day.
Alarm sounds at 8:30 am.... why .... so I can snooze and get ready!
As I wake up to sheer and utter panic, I rely on my Fiancé Neil to help me feel balanced. Must have been the lowest I've felt... School as a kid wasn't fun, I was a loser with no friends heavily bullied by my peers AND teachers, made to feel like I was wrong to different not just in sexuality but in my ability and style of learning.  This struggle and experience have to this point tainted my ideas of education and how I will and plan to change it by becoming a teacher.

In the first month, I have learned that university (like my fiancé always said) is very different from general childhood education. I first learned that Spanish is harder than anticipated, Drama means lots of script reading (one full play a week), and My high school drama teacher Mr. Jobb (may he rest in peace) bestowed SO much more than I had initially thought in Technical theatre.

Español 201, My professor is pretty amazing, her enthusiasm for instruction is genuinely inspiring. She does a fantastic job keeping us profoundly engaged and immersed in the language. Her reactions make me smile every class. She pushes us to speak out loud every class and has a beautiful, supportive manner in aiding us on using our Spanish practically.

Drama 242 Fun exciting and A LOT OF READING! I signed up for the first presentation with our first reading... that was fun!  Lol, I prepared an entire 13-page power point for the topic I was assigned. With my guts in knots, I stood in front of the class with everyone else who did a 2-3 paragraph summary and just used my powerpoint as an over planned out set of notes.

Drama 225
The study of the design side of theatre, it touches on everything from the front of house interior design to the lighting and sound, The most technical side of theatre. I feel confident in his class I studied professional theatre thoroughly in high school and always had interest in the technical side and backstage of the theatre. My prof whose age I am relatively close to is a wise man, and if we worked on the same show together I think could and would end up sharing common ground on several levels and actually bond. I feel very comfortable in this course with my care and attention to deatil.


Needless to day the first month was about as cliche as how I started my final paragraph just now. I met a few new people who are sup cool, watching some others in class has been insightful as well. My favourite study distraction while working on campus has to be people watching. Thankful every day for this opportunity, so excited for whats to come, and having the time of my life so far. Is it easy, no, but I am completely capable of doing all of these courses. But I know all this stress and anxiety and reading and oh so much reading will be worth every ADHD fighting minute, to do this for me!

Comments