Getting there. . .

Returning to school after nearly 12 years since high school was something I have thought of for awhile now. Not having a single clue as to what I would want to study to pursue a career in was the hang up I couldn't shake.

I've been a dance instructor since the age of 14 and have been doing it professionally for 8 years this week. With my fiancé in the teaching profession, I put my energy into the idea of being a class room teacher. After extensive soul searching I looked into the path I would nee to take to get into university.
Being that I slacked off my entire high school career I had.a sneaking suspicion this wasn't going to be easy. Finding out from the University I was deficient English 30 I immediately log on to find where I can complete the course in time to get granted acceptance to the University of Calgary for the fall (one year away).
I started the wheels in motion to today, it took me nearly 10 months and two extensions which cost you money totally about $749 for my English course. Leaving it to the last minute due to laziness and a busy life schedule I was panicked that I wouldn't have been able to finish in time to get accepted from the application I've submitted.

When May hit the time crunch became real that I wasn't going to make it... my grandmother had fallen ill and my personal life wasn't stable. I failed myself and was forced to extend my term by two months. with 4 major assignments remaining and 5 major tests that I had to compete in the testing centre down town I put my nose to the grind to complete the assignments. with four days to spare I wrote my final and received an over grade high enough to allow entrance to U of C.

I passed but didn't get accepted to the faculty of education... I was devastated, mislead by an advisor I wasn't aware of being deficient a 30 level science. so I hit rock bottom again feeling like I had shot myself in my foot before running this whole race. Luckily I was notified by the university admissions that was eligible for an Arts faculty entrance to complete the deficient course and and reapply in the fall for the faculty.

once applied for student loans and was accepted I knew it then, I was ACTUALLY going to university.

I leave you now but will continue this blog throughout the next 5 year adventure of my life as an adult student!
Stephen

Comments